This Kale and Carrot-top Pesto Roasted Potatoes are the perfect side dish to any meal. Kale and carrot tops add a robust and garlicky flavor to this pesto which will have you going back for more. If you are like me you are always looking for a tasty new way to cook up a side dish. This one is so delish and super easy! If you have been following along around here you know quick and flavorful is my jam. Plus, it’s a great way to use up some of those things you usually would just toss out. I have an abundance of carrot tops from my garden at this time of year and it is great way to not let them go to waste.
Also, did you know pesto freezes amazingly? So if you have 10 minutes grab some carrots with the tops next time you are at the grocery store and make some pesto ahead of time to have handy for a quick weeknight meal. You can freeze it in ice cube trays, small bags (I love these stashers) or even jars, just leave a little room for it to expand. This pesto is packed with vitamins and flavor. I love it on pizza, sandwiches or pasta as well.
Putting it together
Begin by washing and then chopping your potatoes into bite sized pieces. A uniform size does help with more even roasting. I usually go for about 1-2 inch sized pieces. On a prepared baking sheet add potatoes and drizzle with olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Preheat your oven to 425 and roast for 20-30 minutes until golden and tender, flipping halfway thru.
While the potatoes are roasting. On a cutting board Remove the stems from your carrot tops and set them aside. Next, take your kale and remove the stems and veins. I like to use a knife to do this or my hands by grabbing the end of the kale and sliding my fingers up the stem all the leaves come right off. Once you have removed the stems and veins roughly chop the kale.
In a blender or food processor, place your nuts, garlic, carrot tops and chopped kale. Pulse until it is finely minced. Next, add the parmesan cheese and olive oil pulse until incorporated. Adding additional olive oil until you get to your desired thickness. It should be on the thicker side but a spreadable consistency.
Coat the roasted potatoes with pesto to your liking and sprinkle with extra parmesan cheese and serve.
Any leftover pesto is good for about week or so in the refrigerator, or freeze for next time.
Lastly, if you make the Kale and Carrot Top Pesto Roasted Potatoes, be sure to leave a comment, or give this recipe a rating! I’d love to hear from you. If you do make this recipe, please tag me on Instagram! I love seeing the images of the recipes you make!
1. Wash and chop potatoes into bite sized pieces. Place on a prepared baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Roast in 425 oven for 20-30 minutes until golden and tender, flipping halfway thru.
2. Remove stems from carrot tops and set aside. Then remove stems and veins from kale. Roughly chopping kale.
3. In a blender or food processor place nuts, garlic, carrot tops and chopped kale. Pulse until it is until minced.
4. Add parmesan cheese and 6 Tbsp. olive oil and blend until incorporated. Add additional olive oil to desired thickness. It should be on the thicker side but spreadable consistency.
5. Lightly toss the pesto to your likely with the roasted potatoes and sprinkle with extra parmesan cheese and serve.