2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 medium onion diced (1.5 cups)
4 cloves of garlic minced
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1 28oz crushed tomatoes (I love the fire roasted)
1 6 oz can of tomato paste
3 cups of Chicken Broth
1 cup of white wine (optional but adds so much to the flavor omit and sub with more chicken broth or water)
1 Tbsp Basil chopped (fresh is best)
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
salt & pepper
1/4 cup sugar (I use unrefined)
1 package of sweet Italian sausage (casings removed or buy ground)
4 oz of fresh goat cheese (or cream cheese)
1 Tbsp. of olive oil
1 tsp garlic powder
3 cups of rough cut or torn pieces of artisan bread (sourdough boule, or Italian type loaf)
- Heat a large dutch-oven, skillet or instant pot over medium heat. Remove sausage from casings if you purchased that kind of sausage and brown until cooked thru; set aside.
- Add olive oil, onions, garlic, red pepper flakes and a pinch of salt, stir, and cook for about 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in canned tomatoes, cooked Italian sausage, basil, thyme, oregano, chicken broth and wine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring the soup back to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes, uncovered. or on low for 4-6 hours in your instant pot (crockpot setting) or crock pot.
- While soup is simmering make croutons.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat add 1 Tbsp. of olive oil, chopped bread, sprinkle with salt and garlic powder and stirring till browned slightly on all sides. About 3-5 minutes.
- Before serving add in the sugar and goat cheese to the soup; stirring until it is all melted in.
- Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and top with croutons.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 35
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove or Crockpot/Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Soup, Tomato, Italian, Tomato Soup