Pan seared chicken with creamy coconut rice with kale, topped with a mango and roasted red pepper chutney chock-full of mangos, with smokey chipotle and a squeeze of lime
1 cup Jasmine arrive
3 cloves garlic minced
4 cups chopped kale
1 lime zested
1 cup mango chopped
1 lb of chicken thighs or breasts
1 tsp jerk spice
1 tbsp grated ginger
1/2 cup minced onion
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup chopped roasted red pepper
1/2 tsp chipotle pepper
1 tbsp butter
Salt and pepper
4 tbsp water
Basic Jerk Seasoning Blend
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tsp. brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Season chicken with jerk spice blend, salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring jasmine rice, 1 cup water and about 1⁄4 teaspoon salt to a boil in a small pot. Stir. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover pot with lid. Simmer 16-18 minutes, or until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
- Remove from heat. Let rest, covered for 3 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Heat about 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken to hot pan. Cook 4-6 minutes on each side, or until chicken is fully cooked. Transfer chicken to a cutting board.
- Heat about 1 tablespoons olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add yellow onions, ginger and about half of the garlic to pan. Cook 2-3 minutes, or until fragrant, stirring occasionally.
- Add coconut milk. Cook 1-2 minutes or until coconut milk is bubbling. Reduce heat to medium. Add kale. Season with about 1⁄4 teaspoon salt. Cook 2-3 minutes, or until kale is lightly wilted, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Transfer rice to pan. Season with lime zest and a pinch of salt.
- Return pan used for chicken to stovetop over medium heat.* Add mangos, roasted red peppers, remaining garlic and ground chipotle powder to hot pan. Lightly season with salt. Cook 2-3 minutes, or until garlic is fragrant.
- Add 4 tablespoons water. Simmer 1-2 minutes, or until sauce is thickened, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat. Add juice from lime and 1 tablespoon butter. Salt and pepper to taste. Stir until butter melts.
Put it all together and serve.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Main
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Caribbean
Keywords: Kale, Coconut Rice, Jerk Chicken, Chicken