Crunchy kale quinoa salad with apples, creamy avocado, dried apricots and tangy goat cheese. Topped with a light vinaigrette dressing. Perfect as a hearty side or as the main dish with some shredded chicken.
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
5–6 slices of nitrate-free bacon
1 large bunch of leafy green kale, stemmed and torn
1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
1 avocado, diced
1/2 apple, diced
1/4 cup raw or lightly salted pistachios
1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
2. tbsp. dijon mustard
2 tbsp. pure maple syrup
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
1. Preheat the oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with foil. Place 5-6 slices of bacon on the tray. Bake for 20-25 minutes until desired doneness. I prefer mine on the crispier side for salads.
2. Combine the quinoa and 1 cup of water in a small saucepan. Add a pinch of salt and cover, bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and let the quinoa cook, covered for about 10 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.
3. Put it all in a jar and shake it up or whisk together in a small bowl. Set aside.
4. Remove stems and veins of kale and coarsely chop. Place the chopped kale and quinoa in a large serving bowl. Add the dressing and mix.
5. Chop apple, dried apricots and avocado into bite sizes.
6. Crumble the bacon and add the apricots, avocado, apple and pistachios to the bowl. Gently toss to combine. Sprinkle with goat cheese crumbles and serve.